Here some really interesting Social Media stats. You can use this information to help guide your marketing efforts, determine which social channels to focus on, and inform your social media strategy.
Facebook was founded by Mark Zuckerberg and launched in 2004. During creation, Facebook was only limited to Harvard students but was later available to everyone above 13 years old as long as you had a valid email address.
Now, after 15 years of existence, Facebook has become, by far, the largest social network in the world.
It has also become the most important social media site for marketers despite declining organic reach. Facebook marketing takes up a significant amount of digital ad spend in 2019.
And when it comes to social media statistics, Facebook tends to be the standard that all other networks are now compared to.
With that said, here are some of the most current Facebook Social Media stats:
- As of June 2019, Facebook reports an estimated 2.4 billion Monthly Active Users.
- Facebook also says it has 1.6 billion Daily Active Users.
- 88% of Facebook’s user activity is from a mobile device.
- The average amount of time a users spends on Facebook every day is 58 minutes.
- There are over 300 million photos uploaded to Facebook every day.
- On average, five Facebook accounts are created every second.
- Approximately 30% of Facebook users are aged between 25 and 34 years.
- Facebook video is still in high demand with approximately 8 billion video.
Most of these stats were found in Facebook’s quarterly reports and in Facebook Newsroom.
YouTube was created by Steve Chen, Chad Hurley and Jawed Karim (former PayPal employees) in 2005. It’s considered the 3rd most popular website worldwide.
As far as social networks go, it’s ranked number two.
After 14 years of existence, here’s a look a some mind-blowing YouTube statistics:
- Currently YouTube has more than 1.9 billion logged-in visits every month.
- 149 million people login to YouTube daily.
- The average duration of a YouTube visit is 40 minutes.
- Viewers are spending an average of 1 hour per day watching YouTube videos.
- On average, 300 hours of video are uploaded every minute on YouTube.There are over five billion video views each day.
Many of these stats came straight from either the YouTube Blog or their Press page.
WhatsApp is an instant messaging application for smartphones that comes with an end to end encryption. It was founded by Jan Koum and Brian Acton in 2009 and later bought by Facebook in 2014.
While some may mistakenly leave it out of the social media statistics studies, it’s absolutely one of the social networking titans.
In the ten years since its inception it has achieved the following stats:
- WhatsApp is estimated to have approximately 1.5 billion monthly active users.
- There are now over 1 billion daily active users on WhatsApp.
- On average, 1 million people register on WhatsApp daily.
- Approximately 60 billion texts daily are sent.
Since WhatsApp doesn’t divulge any statistical data publicly that it could be found, all of these stats were found through third-party research.
Instagram was created Mike Krieger and Kevin Systrom in 2010. It was mainly meant to enable sharing of pictures and videos, both publicly and privately. It had been since acquired by Facebook in 2012.
After nine years of its existence, take a look at some of these fascinating Instagram statistics:
- Instagram has over 1 billion monthly active users.
- There are more than 600 million daily active users.
- There are now 500 million daily Stories users.
- Since its creation, more than 40 billion photos have been shared.
- On average, 95 million photos are uploaded daily on Instagram.
- There are approximately 4.2 billion likes per day.
- Most Instagram users are between 18 to 29 years of age with 32% of Instagram users being college students.
Some of these statistics were found on the Instagram Press page while others were found through third-party demographic research.
Twitter was founded by Jack Dorsey, Biz Stone and Evan Williams in March of 2006. It was an experiment that quickly became a messaging addiction for many.
If you know how to use Twitter right, it can be a big contributor to your social media success.
What started as a simple way to post status updates via text message has become one of the most popular go-to sources for what’s happening in the world in real time. In Twitter’s own words:
[Twitter is] what’s happening in the world and what people are talking about right now.
In its 13 years of existence, here are some of the noteworthy Twitter social media stats:
- Nowadays Twitter has more than 330 million monthly active users.
- There are 134 million daily active users or at least that’s how many “monetizable” daily active users (mDAU) according to Twitter.
- Of their monthly active users, 68 million MAU are form the United States.
- The number of mDAU from the US is 26 million.
- Close to 460,000 new twitter accounts are registered every day.
- Twitter users are posting 140 million tweets daily which adds up to a billion tweets in a week.
- Each twitter user has on average 208 followers.
- 550 million accounts are reported to have at least sent a tweet.
These stats were found in Twitter earnings reports mostly from recent Twitter Q1 2019 Earnings Report.
LinkedIn is a professional networking service that was founded in 2002 but later launched in 2003.
It is officially the oldest social network on this list.
And although it is the oldest, it’s definitely struggled to grow its user base over the years. This is mostly due to the professional nature of the network.
It started as a place to simply keep your resume updated and didn’t really turn into a full-on social network until Facebook was well into its prime.
Since launching 16 years ago, it can boast the following user stats:
- LinkedIn has over 560 million registered users.
- It is estimated that LinkedIn has approximately 303 million monthly active users.
- 5.3 million new accounts per month are created on LinkedIn.
- There are over 30 million company pages.
- The average visit duration is about 10 minutes.
- Of all the users, 57% are male whereas 43% of the users are females.
LinkedIn has always been a bit cryptic in releasing usage social media stats, but a few of the above points can be found on their About page.